Universal Analytics image to click tracking
This is a demo of how you can use Google Analytics to track opens of an email using an image that when loads, triggers a hit to GA, and then be able to link that image hit with a later session that clicks through to view and possibly convert.
Applications include email tracking and affiliate sales tracking.
- Upload an image you would like to appear. This can be any .png, including a 1x1 pixel.
- Construct the URL for the event you would like to track. cid=uniqueId, if you include p=1 it will track as a virtual pageview (so be able to be used in GA funnels), c=campaign name
- If you use p=1, it will record opens under '/vpv/email-view/' (+ campaign from c if present). This makes you able to use the GA Goal funnel reports to report performance.
- If you use nohit=1, it will not record an email view (used for displaying the image below without triggering a email view, for example)
- The cid parameter will construct the anonymous ID for GA to link sessions together. It can be text or a number. An email address works - example: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Put that URL as where the image is loaded from. It has to "hotlink" the image, if it loads via a CDN it won't work e.g. if you load the image into Twitter, Facebook etc. they save it on their own servers
- Every view of that image URL will result in a hit in GA. Send it in an email.
- To link sessions, the landing page should be setup to accept the cid. An example is available at this location
- Any links in the email (or the image) that land on the landing page with the same cid as above (e.g. email@example.com) will be linked to the image view session. Put utm_campaign etc. parameters on there as well if you like
- You may want to filter the cid parameter in the UA settings as it is probably PII
- Extensions: use the Cost Upload API to create impressions: https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/config/mgmt/v3/mgmtReference/management/uploads/uploadData
The Current Image:
Upload New Image
Example Image URL with event data, cid=blah, virtual pageviews (p=1) and email_campaign as an event label and pageview: /vpv/email-view/email_campaign
Example URL for links in the email for same user, cid=blah
http://your-appengine-id.appspot.com/landing-page?cid=blah + utm parameters
....example full click URL
URL builder to use to add campaign parameters